Sunday, October 08, 2006

Salsa Dancing & Business Ethics

My fiance is a phenomenal dancer. I've tried going to salsa clubs with her, and she's good enough to make me look good by association. I however felt acutely non-Latin. Attempting to remedy the situation, we signed up for salsa dancing lessons. The first lesson was a ton of fun, and I'm looking forward to going back.

One of the most difficult things about dancing, for me anyway, is that the guy *has* to lead a girl who is probably much better. Apparently, there was some mystic combination of hand signals that are required to get her to move just so without tripping over your foot. The last time we went dancing, we even began working out a set of primitive hand signals. One squeeze means twirl etc. We had it all wrong apparently, The true arcane art here is to push the girl just so to indicate where you need to go. The push needs to be timed correctly with the steps.

So that brings me to the main reason why Salsa dancing mystified me before: Everyone tells you to count in 6, using two groups of three. The *Rhythm* itself from a musical perspective is quite clearly in 4. Apparently this doesn't bother anyone else. For me, it was confusing that these alleged dance beats had no correlation whatsoever to the music.

The other crucial missing ingredient was that the two partners need to place their weight forward into each other slightly, so that each can get a sense of what the other is doing. Aha!

So, in any event, I'm having a great time with the 5 individual moves that I know how to chain together. I feel that my dance partner is hoping for more variety, so we will be back for more.

In other news, I'm taking a class called INTOPIA which is an acronym for something that I can't remember. The class is an elaborate business simulation that I'm not supposed to talk about it too much detail outside of class. The reason why I'm mentioning this at all, is that the same thing happened to me twice: My class mates backed out of business deals that they had signed with me because they got better prices elsewhere, after the fact. I'm sorry but that is just phenomenally uncool. In one case it was a deal for one of our key production inputs, and my team wound up behind the 8 ball at the last minute. I don't think anyone bothered to stop and consider that the lost good will is probably more important that the short term profits gained. Next time I'll have to negotiate penalties for dropping out of the deal or something. Ridiculous.

2 comments:

Le Voyageur said...

You actually had peeps drop out of deals? I was the deal negotiator for my team in INTOPIA, and although I drove hard negotiation for a while before realizing that long-term, mutually-beneficial agreements made much more sense, I never actually backed out of a deal after signing on the dotted line. Bogus.

Noah said...

Well, the lesson I'm going to take from this is that after a negotiation, the other side should feel slightly happier about the deal, otherwise you're going to be facing a loss of good will anyways.

Thanks for the comment.