Sunday, September 17, 2006

Chewy Software Part 1: Primordial Start-Up Soup

Back in the summer of 1999, I had just graduated with a shiny new music composition degree. Naturally, I put that degree to use by learning HTML and casting my resume into the dotcom feeding frenzy. The idea was to get a steady job in Chicago while I built up my composition portfolio to get a music job in the video game business. During my search, I went over to the part-time job board at the career placement office on campus. What I saw was an ad that asked: "want to work in video games? give us a call..." I figured, probably too good to be true, but why not?

Several returned phone calls later, we were meeting on weekends on the University of Chciago campus. There were four programmers, a spouse, myself and two artists. It turned out that one of the programmers wanted to use the team to re-pitch a game concept that had been rejected by his boss. The goal then, was to build a "demo" of the game as a selling tool. I'd be adding sound effects and an audio track. This seemed like a great way to get established in video game music. The major selling point for me was the chance to work with Tony Akins, an amazingly talented comic artist.

These early sessions were largely social - we ordered up some Harold's Chicken and talked about what we wanted the game to be like. We called them "chewing and bobbing" sessions (we'd eat and nod agreement). I think Tony has one videotaped just in case any of us decide to run for office).

I got my dotcom job as a website designer, and our weekend sessions continued.

No comments: